Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Walnut(or pecan) Cookies from @DebInDenver
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1 c. butter
¾ c. light brown sugar
¾ c. white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanila
I ½ c. Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. baking powder (recipe calls for baking soda, but I actually used baking powder by accident once and liked the result better- but I live at altitude)
1 tsp. salt
2 c. chocolate chips (I like Ghirardelli.)
2 c. quick-cooking oatmeal
1 c. pecans or walnuts (I like both, but they each give a different flavor to the cookie.)
I use a large kitchenaid mixer to mix this recipe.
1. Toast chopped nuts in oven for 6 mins. (@ 375) give them enough time to cool before you mix them in. I always cool them on a plate rather than the cookie sheet I toast them on.
2. Cream butter and sugars together, then beat in eggs and vanilla
3. In a separate bowl mix together whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add flour mixture to butter/egg mixture.
5. Add in oats, nuts, then chocolate chips. (This is a hard-core batter, so the mixer will be working pretty hard)
6. Bake for 13 minutes. At the 6:30 point, I switch the cookies sheets to the other rack and spin them so they bake evenly. (Most ovens leak by the door and the cookies bake differently on the upper and lower racks, so I do this.) Your baking time may be a little different. I live at altitude, so you may need to experiment with baking time)
7. Cool on rack.
8. Serve with milk!